Two of the major barriers to coordinated and effective care for dialysis patients in long-term care (LTC) facilities are:
- Poor communication between dialysis clinics and LTC staff.
- A lack of knowledge/information sharing regarding the special needs of dialysis patients.
Good communication between the dialysis clinics and LTC facilities is essential to ensuring patients':
- Satisfaction and experience of care.
- Adherence to treatment protocols, including:
- Medication regimens.
- Dietary restrictions.
- Dialysis schedules.
Effective collaborative care can have a profound effect on patients' health outcomes and the provision of quality of care.
Dietary Guidelines for End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Patients
This presentation, a collaborative effort between HSAG: ESRD Network 15, Telligen, and the Colorado Health Care Association & Center for Assisted Living (CHCA), provides essential information reagarding:
- The nutritional needs of LTC residents who have an ESRD diagnosis.
- Resident rights regarding their diet/fluid intake.
- Fluid management and the importance of weight for ESRD patients.
- The imporatnce of medication management for a person with ESRD.
- Desirable/apprpriate menu choices for LTC/ESRD patients.
Long-Term Care Facility Information for Dialysis Residents
This document is a general tip sheet for long-term care facilities to review to help them meet the special needs of their dialysis patients. Every dialysis patient has an individualized prescription and specific needs. Close collaboration between the long-term care and dialysis facilities is crucial at all times.View Resource
Nutrition Recommendations to Keep Your Dialysis Patients Healthy
Nutrition Recommendations to Keep Your Dialysis Patients Healthy is an easy to use tool and reference guide for helping your ESRD patients stay as healthy as possible through appropriate diet and fluid intake. It is an easy-to-follow guide to ESRD patients' renal high-protien diet requirements, including:
- Allowed/recommended high-protien foods and supplements.
- Potassium management.
- Phosphorus management.
- Sodium and fluid management.
Download and watch the webinar presented January 22, 2019.View Resource
- Contact Us
- Medicare Quality Improvement (QIO)
- HSAG HQIC Partnership
ESRD Networks Home
- About Us
- Contact Us
- For Patients and Families
- Involuntary Discharge (IVD)
- Communication Tools
- Quality Improvement (QI)
- Bridging Communication Between Dialysis and Long-Term Care
- Blood Stream Infection (BSI) Toolkit
- ESRD QIP, Dialysis Facility Compare, Star Ratings, and Dialysis Facility Reports
- Stakeholder Organizations
- Advance Care Planning
- End of Life Care
- New Facility Information
- ICH CAHPS
- ESRD National Coordinating Center (NCC) ACTivation Newsletters
- Network Resources
- Patient Experience of Care (PEOC)
- Improving Pain Assessment
- Provider Newsletters
- Population Health: Focus on Pain Management LAN
- Supporting Gainful Employment of ESRD Patients QIA
- Reducing Adverse Drug Events (ADEs)
- Conditions for Coverage
- ESRD Network 7
- ESRD Network 13
- ESRD Network 15
- ESRD Network 17
- ESRD Network 18
- HSAG ESRD Alerts, Recalls, and Notices
- Behavioral Health
- Continuing Education
- Data Management
- Emergency Preparedness
- Home Dialysis
- Infection Prevention
- Patient and Family Engagement (PFE)
- Readmissions and Hospitalizations
- Healthcare Policy and Quality Measurement
- Medicaid External Quality Review
- QPP Service Center
- Audit and Validation Services (HEDIS®/AMP)