Following are links to tools that will assist you in achieving your BSI reduction goals:
Quality Assessment and Performance Improvement (QAPI) Resources
- QAPI QIA BSI Monitoring Form
Use the QAPI QIA BSI Monitoring Form (PDF) for tracking access- and CVC-related BSIs, the number of patients who have had two or more BSIs within a 12-month period, and BSI prevention education and for discussion of progress toward goals during QAPI meetings.
Medical Records Request Form
Use this fillable form that requires facility medical director signature to request blood culture results and other medical records for your patients.
- Fillable (PDF)
- Non-Fillable (PDF)
- Network 15 Obtaining Electronic Medical Record (EMR) Access (PDF)
- CDC Core Interventions
These Core Interventions have been proven to reduce dialysis-related BSIs. Apply these interventions when using the Audit Tools and Checklists.
- CDC Core Intervention Poster
This poster outlines the CDC approach to BSI prevention in dialysis facilities.
- CDC Days Since Last Bloodstream Infection poster
- CDC Arteriovenous Fistula and Graft (AVF and AVG) Cannulation Tools
- CDC Audit Tools
CDC Audit Tool: Hemodialysis Hand Hygiene Observations (For monthly reporting.)
- CDC Catheter Care Tools
- CDC Catheter Exit Site Tools
- 4 Ways to Get Ahead of Sepsis—This CDC infographic, aimed at patients, addresses what sepsis is and steps that can be taken to prevent it.
- Get Ahead of Sepsis Fact Sheets and Brochures—The CDC now has Get Ahead of Sepsis materials, including fact sheets and brochures for patients and families, available for download in Spanish. Sepsis is a medical emergency. These new Spanish-language materials help patients and their loved ones learn the risks, spot the signs and symptoms, and act fast if they suspect sepsis.
- Training Videos and PowerPoints
- CDC Preventing BSIs in Outpatient Dialysis Patients (Video 11:17)
- National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) Dialysis Event Surveillance Training
- This training is mandatory on an annual basis.
- What is a Learning and Action Network (LAN)? (Video 2:17)
- Health Information Exchange (HIE) for Dialysis Providers (Slides) (Recording)
- Delivered by Florida HIE Services March 29, 2018
- Speak Up: Making Dialysis Safer for Patients (Video 5:25) Use this video to engage patients in their care and prevent infections.
- CDC Infection Protection Tools Page
This page includes additional links to all CDC infection protection tools, including core interventions, the Scrub-the-Hub Protocol, all audit tools and checklists, as well as clinician education.
- Contact Us
- Medicare Quality Improvement (QIO)
- HSAG HQIC Partnership
ESRD Networks Home
- About Us
- Contact Us
- For Patients and Families
- For Providers
- ESRD Network 7
- ESRD Network 13
- ESRD Network 15
- ESRD Network 17
- ESRD Network 18
- HSAG ESRD Alerts, Recalls, and Notices
- Behavioral Health
- Continuing Education
- Data Management
- Emergency Preparedness
- Health Equity and CLAS
- Home Dialysis
- Antibiotic Use in the United States, 2022: Progress and Opportunities
- CDC Core Elements of Antibiotic Stewardship
- CDC Hand Hygiene in Healthcare Settings
- CDC Interactive Hand Washing Resource
- Environmental Surface Disinfection in Dialysis Facilities: Notes for Clinical Managers
- National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) Dialysis Event Surveillance: Improving and Using Data for Infection Monitoring: Presentation
- Reducing Long-Term Catheter (LTC) Use
- Reducing Rates of Bloodstream Infections QIA
- Stop! Sticker: Antibiotic Order
- Washing Your Access - Network 17
- Your 5 Moments for Hand Hygiene Poster
- Patient and Family Engagement (PFE)
- Readmissions and Hospitalizations
- Healthcare Policy and Quality Measurement
- Medicaid External Quality Review
- QPP Service Center
- Audit and Validation Services (HEDIS®/AMP)