Following are links to tools that will assist you in achieving your BSI reduction goals:
Quality Assessment and Performance Improvement (QAPI) Resources
- Network 7—2020 BSI Quality Improvement Orientation (QIA) Webinar (PDF)
- Network 17—2020 BSI Quality Improvement Orientation (QIA) Webinar (PDF)
- QAPI QIA BSI Monitoring Form
Use the QAPI QIA BSI Monitoring Form (PDF) for tracking access- and CVC-related BSIs, the number of patients who have had two or more BSIs within a 12-month period, and BSI prevention education and for discussion of progress toward goals during QAPI meetings.
- QAPI QIA LTC Monitoring Form (PDF)
ESRD NCC BSI QIA LAN Calls
Did you miss the last End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) National Coordinating Center (NCC) BSI Quality Improvement Activity (QIA) Learning and Action Network (LAN) call? ESRD NCC BSI QIA LAN calls offer the opportunity for one continuing education credit. Access past recordings at https://esrdncc.org/en/qia/.
BSI and LTC Reduction Orientation Slides (PDF): The slides represent an overview of the BSI/LTC Quality Improvement Activity (QIA) goals, interventions, and expectations presented in the January 23, 2020 orientation call.
Dialysis Safe Zone Tool (English | Spanish)
Facility Patient Representatives (FPR) Guide (PDF)
A guide for patient volunteers completing Hand Hygiene Audits a and other peer monitoring duties related to Bloodstream Infection and Long-Term Catheter Reduction exists by Network at the Volunteer page.
Medical Records Request Form
Use this fillable form that requires facility medical director sginature to request blood culture results and other medical records for your patients.
- Fillable (PDF)
- Non-Fillable (PDF)
- Network 15 Obtaining Electronic Medical Record (EMR) Access (PDF)
- CDC Core Interventions
These Core Interventions have been proven to reduce dialysis-related BSIs. Apply these interventions when using the Audit Tools and Checklists.
- CDC Core Intervention Poster
This poster outlines the CDC approach to BSI prevention in dialysis facilities.
- CDC Days Since Last Bloodstream Infection poster
- CDC Arteriovenous Fistula and Graft (AVF and AVG) Cannulation Tools
- Audit Tool: AVF/AVG Cannulation Observations (For monthly reporting.)
- Checklist: AVF/AVG Decannulation
- Checklist: AVF/AVG Cannulation
- CDC Audit Tools
CDC Audit Tool: Hemodialysis Hand Hygiene Observations (For monthly reporting.)
- CDC Catheter Care Tools
- CDC Catheter Exit Site Tools
- Audit Tool: Catheter Exit Site Care Observations (For monthly reporting.)
- Checklist: Hemodialysis Catheter Exit Site Care
- 4 Ways to Get Ahead of Sepsis—This CDC infographic, aimed at patients, addresses what sepsis is and steps that can be taken to prevent it.
- Get Ahead of Sepsis Fact Sheets and Brochures—The CDC now has Get Ahead of Sepsis materials, including fact sheets and brochures for patients and families, available for download in Spanish. Sepsis is a medical emergency. These new Spanish-language materials help patients and their loved ones learn the risks, spot the signs and symptoms, and act fast if they suspect sepsis.
- Training Videos and PowerPoints
- CDC Preventing BSIs in Outpatient Dialysis Patients (Video 11:17)
- National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) Dialysis Event Surveillance Training
- This training is mandatory on an annual basis.
- What is a Learning and Action Network (LAN)? (Video 2:17)
- Health Information Exchange (HIE) for Dialysis Providers (Slides) (Recording)
- Delivered by Florida HIE Services March 29, 2018
- Speak Up: Making Dialysis Safer for Patients (Video 5:25) Use this video to engage patients in their care and prevent infections.
- CDC Infection Protection Tools Page
This page includes additional links to all CDC infection protection tools, including core interventions, the Scrub-the-Hub Protocol, all audit tools and checklists, as well as clinician education.
- BSI Patient Pledge —Use this patient pledge with your patients to promote good hand hygiene practices.
- Infection Prevention—Washing Your Vascular Access
This one-page document can be used with patients to explain the importance of washing the access and recognizing the signs and symptoms of infection.
- Clean Hands Save Lives
This one-page document explains what patients should look for when observing staff hand hygiene procedures.
- Test Your Hand Hygiene Knowledge (Video)
- Sepsis Zone Tool (English/Spanish)
This one-page document specifies and categorizes symptoms of sepsis and actions to be taken if those symptoms manifest by green—No Signs of Infection, yellow—Caution, and re—Medical Alert.
- Caring for Your Dialysis Catheter (PDF)
- Coping With Needle Fear (PDF)
- Additional Tips for Needle Fear (PDF)
- NW15 Helping Patients Cope with Needle Fear (PDF)
- Benefits of Having a Permanent Access
- Vascular Access Patient Education
- Hemodialysis Vascular Access (PDF)
- Hemodialysis Vascular Access (Spanish) (PDF)
- Hemodialysis Vascular Access Feedback Form (PDF)
- Network 15 Vascular Access Manager Job Description (PDF)
- Vascular Access Appointment Form (PDF)
- Contact Us
- Medicare Quality Improvement (QIO)
- HSAG HQIC Partnership
ESRD Networks Home
- About Us
- Contact Us
- For Patients and Families
- For Providers
- ESRD Network 7
- ESRD Network 13
- ESRD Network 15
- ESRD Network 17
- ESRD Network 18
- HSAG ESRD Alerts, Recalls, and Notices
- Behavioral Health
- Continuing Education
- Data Management
- Emergency Preparedness
- Home Dialysis
- Antibiotic Use in Hemodialysis (2013) - Network 7
- Antibiotic Use in the United States, 2017: Progress and Opportunities
- CDC Core Elements of Antibiotic Stewardship
- CDC Hand Hygiene in Healthcare Settings
- CDC Interactive Hand Washing Resource
- Clean Hands Save Lives! - Network 17
- Environmental Surface Disinfection in Dialysis Facilities: Notes for Clinical Managers
- Hand Hygiene Pledge - Patients - Network 17
- Healthcare-Associated Infection LANs
- Infection Prevention and Monitoring in the Dialysis Setting
- National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) Dialysis Event Surveillance: Improving and Using Data for Infection Monitoring: Presentation
- Reducing Long-Term Catheter (LTC) Use
- Reducing Rates of Bloodstream Infections QIA
- Stop! Sticker: Antibiotic Order
- Washing Your Access - Network 17
- Your 5 Moments for Hand Hygiene Poster
- Patient and Family Engagement (PFE)
- Readmissions and Hospitalizations
- Healthcare Policy and Quality Measurement
- Medicaid External Quality Review
- QPP Service Center
- Audit and Validation Services (HEDIS®/AMP)